Saturday, September 8, 2012

Getting weird




I'd honestly contemplate it if I wasn't married with kids.  All things considered, it seems like an awesome idea and sticks back to the general idea of "how bad do you want it?"  Going without housing for four months would be one of those amazing situations and goes to show that "the little man can't get ahead" and "the man is keeping me down" are just excuses. 

But we're here to learn from the crazy guy about how to quit listening to those people and take charge of your own destiny, so let's work on that for a bit, shall we?

Ok. 

First things first.  You need a good bank.  What qualifies as a good bank?  I don't know, but I do know what a bad bank is.  Look for something with excellent customer service, a logical deposit schedule, and putting customers first.  Just because they are "large" or have lots of ATMs doesn't make it worth a darn.  I use USAA , but I'm lucky like that.  My ATM charges get refunded every month, so I use whatever ATM I happen to be closest to.  Also, some Wal-Marts have money stations that act as ATMs and give out amounts other than $20 bills.  The one I use often will dispense $1 bills.  Talk about precision.  And that helps when making a budget.  My totals don't always come out to nice $20 rounds, so if I need $150, I don't have to pull that extra $10 out to get what I want.  Plus, Wal-Mart charges $1.50, which USAA also refunds.  So it's worth driving out of the way to get what I want.

While you are thinking of a bank, treat them like used car salesmen.  Don't be mean and rude, but realize there is another one five blocks down the street that is more than happy to take your money.  Banking is a PRODUCT, not a privilege. 

Once you find that bank, or if you decide to keep your old bank you have one thing to do. Get rid of overdraft protection.  Overdraft charges run about $30 per situation, and will kill every single penny you make.  Plus, the shoddy banks will charge you overdraft plus under minimum balance plus whatever else, so a $.10 over charge turns into a -$80 hole from one transaction.  Get rid of it.     

Now here's what's going to happen the next time you try to overdraft your account: the clerk is going to look at you and say your card has been declined.  You're going to make all sorts of ludicrous statements.  And then you are going to realize one simple fact: I do not have the money to purchase this.

And that shock and embarrassment will hopefully cause a behavior change.  Or at least, that's what we want.  That behavior change is going to be required if you are going to change your life and your family tree.  Living within your means is hard, but it's worth it.  The biggest problem is getting the years of stupid out of your head dumped in by sales and marketing people.


No comments:

Post a Comment