Tuesday, January 14, 2014

educational quandries



As parents of two kids and a half kids, my wife and I have decided to home school our children.  Bur what I happen to be thinking about is a couple of educational quandaries that have plagued me for years.  Both fit in the category of dual and incompatible teachings.

1)      Don’t talk to strangers.  The ability to talk to strangers is one hallmark of successful adulthood.
2)      Don’t tattle.  Make sure and let an adult know if something is wrong.

Taken of themselves, the ideas aren’t bad and seem to make sense.  Taken with the corollary, then the ideas can lead a two or three year old brain into fits because you can’t follow both at the same time.  You can either follow one or the other.  The kind of teaching that is contradictory just doesn’t work with kids. 

I’ve learned very well that “do as I say and not as I do” doesn’t work with kids.  My children act like my wife and I.  If you look at either of them and observe them, you see tiny little versions without all the adult pretense that says what you are doing is the right thing.  Kids are giant sponges, and they observe and follow everything they see.  You want your kid to stop screaming?  Stop screaming at the kid.  Where do you think the kid learned it? 

The first statement is the one that strikes me as the biggest failing of education.  How is it that we can’t teach our kids what will cause them to succeed?  It’s almost as if schools are doing their best to get children to fail.  The real problem is that the school just doesn’t see it.  The school is more concerned about teaching precisely what is on a test so the student can pass the test.  Yet teaching the material away from the context of the test also teaches the material.  Teaching to the test invalidates the test, anyways. 

At the moment, I don’t have an answer on how to fix these thoughts.  I just know that attempting to teach both ideas is wrong.  So we’re stuck back in a slightly different area, except this time our brains are now aware of the problem and can spend some time working on the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment