Wednesday, January 22, 2014

More airport fun



I’m at the airport, and for some reason, the Supersuckers Going Back to Tuscon is running through my head right now.   I’m headed back to Clearwater, Florida for training.  I’m sure there are plenty of things I could be doing right now, but all I remember is something I put on Facebook last night and I don’t think anyone got what I was saying. 

I read an article yesterday about the carbon footprint of the Tesla vehicles.  The article was very distinct in that the complaints about the vehicle were related to specific metals used in the production of the vehicle.  The end result is the Tesla has a smaller carbon food print than the guy who posted its’ diesel truck.  And then it struck me as weird.  My brain immediately jumped to a memory I have of burning poo in Iraq back in 2003.  And I kind of laughed, because carbon footprint seemed pretty ridiculous in comparison.  If you need a visual, watch the movie Jarhead.  You’ll see pretty much the same thing, described in detail.

And I think it could be because I’m reading a book about how to think like Sherlock Holmes (Mastermind by Maria Konnikova) and I just finished a section on creating mental distance, and I begin to think of this…

Be sure to establish your own priorities.  If you don’t, someone else is likely to set them for you and you may not like where you end up.

Make sure and use the principle of exclusion to keep others’ priorities out of your life.  Limit information in order to gain greater insight because it cuts down the signal to noise ratio.  I guess Konnikova put it accurately when she said more information is not always relevant or important information. 

And after a few seconds of thinking, I come to bread and circuses, and I begin to think the Romans were right.  The only thing is that the modern government has advanced the topic with the realization that not every person is going to respond to bread and circuses, but many will.  For those more advanced in life that have moved beyond bread and circuses, you have carbon footprints and global warming.  It’s all just a game to keep people distracted.

No comments:

Post a Comment