Monday, January 6, 2014

Fallout 3



So I bought Fallout New Vegas when it went on sale on Steam.  So $12 got me all the add-ons they currently sell, and countless hours of death and destruction.  I’ve been a fan of Fallout since Fallout 1.  I even liked Fallout Tactics.  Fallout 3 was really good, but I couldn’t get it to install on Windows 7.  So here I am with New Vegas. 

Really, I’m enjoying this game quite a bit.  There is a lot of world to explore, and small little secrets to experience everywhere you roam.  There’s just something about wandering a well conceived world and experiencing everything it has to offer. 

I have to admit, the game doesn’t start really taking off until your character reaches level 9 or 10.  Before that point, you die too easily and have too little access to decent weapons.  Running into random groups of enemies is always a question as to whether you will live or die, and that removes much of the fun of the game.

But around level 9 or 10, you get to the point where you think you’ve got a decent chance.  You still think twice about taking out large groups of enemies, but a small group seems doable and your firepower seems to be hitting at the right level to make short work of your victims.  It’s at this point that you finally feel you can explore without getting wiped off the map like some weak pathetic creature.  Rather than being the constant victim, it’s almost as if you are reaching the point of equals with your enemies.

I would love to take lots of pictures of some of the weirder stuff you run into, but any picture I take ends up looking messed up.  So I guess I won’t.   Maybe I should try out of full screen mode.  But that’s more work than I currently want to put into this thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment