Friday, September 19, 2014

disorganized mess

This is going to be a disorganized mess, but I’m okay with that.  It’s hard when you observe situations and know there is connecting tissue there, but you don’t know what that connecting tissue is.  I think I’ve been reading too much about too many different things.  All of it combined makes for a giant mess of a thought process.  Here are several of the incomplete thoughts running through my head in recent days.

The income gap: how do some people find it so easy to make money while others struggle with McJobs?  It probably started with something I read about conversations overheard in the Goldman Sachs elevator.  Though I can’t attribute anything, nor do I believe it actually happened, one conversation went like such:

Some girl asked me what I would do with $10 million dollars.  I told her I’d wonder where the rest of my money went.

I think I read that statement as something to aspire to.  I guess money is so demonized that people don’t understand why someone would want “that much money”.  My thought is simple: I want the money for the opportunity it provides.  My lack of money creates insecurity and unneeded stress.  I spend so much money a money servicing debt and making others rich that there is nothing left to make me rich.  But that’s only the case for another 2-3 years.  The lack of finances also prevents pursing opportunities and learning things I desire to learn.  Without extra money, I don’t have the $100-200 to risk on something to determine whether an idea is feasible.  I don’t have what equates to relatively minor sums of cash to try initial experiments.  Because with those initial experiments, I expect to lose my initial capital.  And I don’t have the spare capital to lose.

Going back to my original thought: how do some people seem to be able to make large incomes easily while others don’t seem to be able to hold 2 cents to their name.  It makes me think there is something there worth studying and understanding.

2nd: Next time you are driving, think about how much time and effort you have spent paying for your car.  Think of the undue stress of buying that car.  Once you have made it through the buying process, it’s off to the bill payment process.  And then finally, the bill payment process is over and the vehicle is yours after years of blood, sweat, and tears. 

Now drive by a wrecker yard and see what your investment in time in stress is worth a few years down the road.  Or in the next 15 minutes.

There are more, but those are the beginning thoughts.  That, or maybe I should quit reading John Boyd.





No comments:

Post a Comment