Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Layover pt II, Airports pt III



At a layover in Austin, waiting for the next flight out to Tampa.  Last time I was in Austin airport, it was October of 2001.  I had just finished USMC Infantry School (0311, Alpha Company).  I flew into Austin and had a friend pick me up.  I had intended to fly into Lubbock, but the best laid of plans of mice and men often go awry.  And those who don’t ask, don’t know.  And that’s very true of those who join the USMC without asking too many questions.  

I joined the USMC without asking too many questions.  I can make implications as to why, but those are all numerology type inferences.  Maybe politician inferences.  I’m joking about the effect before cause inferences.   A failing of cause and effect makes 99% of numerology inferences fail.  All those inferences are based on tying two things together.  And tying those two things together often results in tenuous connections. 

But tenuous connections are often the best kinds.  Because the person’s floor I crashed in after visiting Austin airport was a good friend that I liked a lot.  And I wish something would have happened out of it, but nothing did.  A decade later, and everyone is different.  Still the same, but different in ways that are hard to describe other than “older”.  Some I haven’t talked to  in years, but that’s okay.  There are still tenuous connections made more than a decade ago that cause memories to come flaring back, and hopes and dreams and fears to become something different.  I find it hard to think about myself a decade ago.  I don’t even know where I was mentally at that time.  I can draw pictures and dates and tie things together chronologically, but that’s been a while.  The younger me would probably try to beat the older me up, but would lose because the older me is more cunning.

Still, it’s a different time and place.  The connections exist, but it has been so long that the logic behind all of it has been lost.   Such a different life. 

Is it the mindlessly long waits at airports that cause us to remember vague things?  Or is it the lack of entertainment and overpriced beer?  Seriously.  What better way to kill a three hour layover than three or four beers.  But not at $7 a beer.  I realize airports have a monopoly on your traffic, but this is just insane.  Maybe the airports of the world just don’t want customers completely loaded while we wait on a five hour layover to save a buck or tow.  Or is it simply that the airport/airplane business model has colossal holes in it that no one wants to fill. 

In hunting down my $7 beer, I found a $12 cheeseburger, a $6 slice of pizza, and an $8 sandwich.  The McDonalds dollar menu has nothing on airport travel, and they know it.  Next time you see a McDonalds commercial, pay attention to the message about “at participating restarunts only”.  What they really mean is “anywhere but the airport”.  I think they’ve roped the TSA into enforcing their monopoly as well.  There are size limitations on what you can carry on at an airport, so you are limited by what you can make it through security with. 

I would guess that you couldn’t make a decent lunch out of what you can carry on at the airport.  The airport knows that there isn’t a thing within walking distance so it is isolated and separated.  Secondly, you’d have to go through the security checkpoints in order to make it to anything around.  And they make going through security all together so pleasant.  “Okay buddy, take off your belt and empty your bags while we treat a law abiding citizen like a criminal”.  Once you’re done being shoved through security and treated like a terrorist, it’s time to cram into an uncomfortable bus with tiny seats and ride that for hours on end.  Because the air travel model is really well designed… for a monopoly.  

The airport model really makes me think about what you can do with enough fear mongering and political clout.  I guess the real question is this: how much of those dollars that go into an airport make it to the city coffers?  I’m guessing a decent amount.   Otherwise, you might have a competitive business model happening.  And what you’ve got right now just isn’t it.    

No comments:

Post a Comment