Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Task Orientation vs Time Orientation



Over the course of my reading, I think I've read a lot about time management.  Time management makes perfect sense.  If you properly manage your time, then you get more out of your day.  And that works great for people who aren't an in interrupt driven job.  That's my real problem.  I can plan my day as much as I want, but people do what people do, and machines break.  Depending on what breaks, I may not even make it to the office.  And for the plans I made?  Those go completely out the window.

So time management doesn't work for me.  I want it to work, but it doesn't.  If I could follow all the wonderful time management principles then my day would go wonderfully.  But task orientation works slightly differently.  Task orientation is more concerned with producing results than it is about following a clock.  And that fits more into what I want.  But no one ever talks about task orientation.  I think it's because time management focuses on the wrong thing and is based on the wrong ideas.

All my life, I've been expected to perform.  In order to perform, tasks have to be completed.  As skill grows, the time needed to complete the same task changes.  Time becomes less important than completion of task.  Should I spend more of my time trying to determine how long it will take me to finish a task, or should I just go from task to task as I finish each?  Initially, a problem may take me two hours.  Thirty or forty repetitions in, it only takes 30 minutes.  But everything is still based off the time it took to do the first.  So I finish four tasks of the project my phone kicks back and reminds of the second task of the four is now supposed to start.  My phone is time oriented and is behind what I need to do. 

So I think I came up with the Java project.  I need to make a program so I can work towards producing my task oriented day.  As each project or section is finished, that can be completed.  And whatever I prioritize next jumps into my list, constantly giving me a task to work on.  I think that's what I'll do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment