Thursday, February 14, 2013

Obfuscation



I've heard various complaints about Windows and Linux systems.  I'm a Windows based user as that is what most of my job uses.  The rest is proprietary junk that has limited access.  One of the big complaints about the newer versions of Windows was that the directory system was obfuscated.  Meaning: you used to know where something installed, but now it just kind of shows up and goes somewhere. 

Strangely enough, when comparing Ubuntu 12.04, you have exactly the same thing.  Seriously...   I've been looking for the last 15 minutes through the file system and can't find where TeamViewer installed.  All I want to do is figure that out, and then maybe I can get it to start on boot up like I want so I don't have a fear of updating the computer.  See, if I want to mess with something remotely, I generally use my iPhone to connect to the Ubuntu machine to ping something to determine if the device in question has network connectivity through our corporate VPN to the site router and through the site switch, down to the device.   It's a good "is networking for this device working as expected?" test. 

But I don't dare install updates unless I'm here babysitting the machine because I can't get TeamViewer to start manually.  Because I can't find where the program installed.  And I finally found it.   Now, it could be because I'm using a more Windows style interface that things are complicated.  But that's pretty crazy...   also, why isn't my system auto logging in anymore?  I prefer it that way because I use it for remote access.  

Just as I think I've got one problem solved, here come 10 more.  And all this is stuff I already know how to do in Windows...   Maybe it's time to head home for the day and fight this problem later.


No comments:

Post a Comment