Tuesday, February 5, 2013

World creation with existing items



Now...  going back to the worlds in my head.  Thinking roughly about them, there are ways to create those worlds.  The only problem is that using each of those methods to create your world in someone else' equipment is that their equipment was purpose built for their task.  That doesn't quite work out for doing something you want to do.

For the rundown of options, you have...

Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion:  The graphic engine for this is beautiful.  It's capable of creating huge, open worlds.  The game is beautiful, it's wonderfully old world, and the world of Oblivion looks like kind of like what I would imagine if I were to create a world.  The only real problem is that I hate the way they do speech.  I've dug into the complexities of creating a collection of unique characters that each have a different life and things to say.  But in Oblivion, doing that is something that's a complete and utter pain in the butt.

The 2nd big problem with Oblivion is the scaling difficulty.  By the end of the game, the enemies are just as strong as you are.  You've started out at one strength, and essentially stayed there the entire time.  You essentially have to break the game mechanics to see any real growth in your own power.  That strikes me as wrong.  What's the point of leveling up when everything levels up with you?  It's occasionally fun to go back to an area that was hard and whip the tar out of it.  But you can't do that in Oblivion.

And if I'm going to create a world, I'm going to want to play it.  That's the entire point, isn't it?

I haven't spent much time trying to get textures into Oblivion, but it seems like a pain.  Why do I want to create some place that looks like Tamriel that's not Tamriel.  Makes no sense. 

Fallout 3:  Has a great post-apocalyptic tile set, and inventory system, but the game was buggy as hell.  It frustrates me to no end to play a game I paid for with a computer system that is beyond the greatest specs and I have to play it at the lowest possible screen resolution because that's the only way the game is stable.  Screw that.

Seeing as how Fallout 3 is based off the Oblivion engine, it's probably got the same problems as the Oblivion engine and world creation set.  No need to beat that dead horse.

Unreal Development Kit:  Is the only remaining alternative.  But it suffers from wanting to create small, compact worlds.  If I want to create a world, I want to create a huge world.  I want something that is big, complex, and interactive. 

The UDK also has no built in inventory system or conversation system, so those have to be built.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great engine.  But the framework is not there for what I want to create. 

So there you have it...  The video game engines that I have don't provide what I want in a world building software.  Maybe there's something else out there, but I don't know what it is.  Someone out there in internet land knows.  But not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment