Monday, February 18, 2013

Tools of the Trade



So all the stuff I do requires a lot of tools.  Did I say a lot?  I should have said a whole lot.  I think I'm going to spend a bit of time discussing tools today.

I have two different cordless screwdrivers.  My favorite is a DeWalt.  I've been using it since I started the job, and it works like a champ.  Depending on how high you crank up the clutch, it can bust knuckles fairly easily.  But with all that torque it goes through cinder block pretty easily.  My only problem with DeWalt is the price. 

I recently added a Ryobi screwdriver and circular saw.  The Ryobi screw gun doesn't have the torque, but I like it anyways.  It's a good alternative to DeWalt if you don't have the money or don't want to spend the money.    A friend of mine said I should have bought the bigger super combo kit, but I didn't.   Truly, it's not my money but there are limitations to what I'll do.  If money hadn't been an issue, I'd have probably gone with this and bought DeWalt.   

For drill bits, I don't have a preference.  I generally use DeWalt because that's what someone bought me when I started the job.  I also have a set of Ryobi and Milwaukee bits.  I use what I have.  I haven't become a convert on any of this as of yet.

 My current set of crimps are a set of Paladin Datashark similar to this set. I go through a set a year.  What can I say?  I've got a grip and I tear through cheap crimps like nothing.  The next time mine break, I'm buying Klein

Speaking of Klein, I've also got a Klein Lan Scout, a Klein Compression Crimper , Klein 11 in 1 screwdriver , Klein Scotch lock pliers,  Klein wire cutter/stripper , and a Klein punch down tool.   I would buy everything Klein if it wasn't so darned expensive.  The only thing I wouldn't buy Klein would be fish tape.  Their fish tapes suck.

The electrician we have working for us is a beast.  He's the kind of electrician you want when you want solutions.  He also carries a full electricians' pouch full of nothing but Klein.  The only thing he doesn't use is Klein fish tapes.   Go figure. 

The 11 in 1 screwdriver and punch down tool are great for working on phone systems.  The 11 in 1 has all the tools in one needed to open most phone company demarc boxes.  The punch down tool also has a 66 block punch down device that turns working with 66 blocks from being a pain to being simple.  The right tools make certain jobs easy.

I also use a Commercial Electric wire cutters.  This is my third set.   The first set was lost by some guys we called in to run wire.  The 2nd set was broken trying to cut a fish tape. 

For a test set, I use a Fluke test set.  Once again, having the right tools makes the job easier.  For 2 years, I carried an Ideal toner, but that was a piece of junk.  I got the Fluke toner and that works like a champ. 

I've got an extra set of 6 small screw drivers from Husky.  Those are a recent addition, but I like them.  The Klein 11 in 1 is great, but sometimes I don't want to adjust the tip.   To carry it all, I use a Dead On Electricians pouch.   I've tried many different pouches, and none worked very well.  It's a matter of having the right amount of tools without being weighed down too much.  Considering I usually have all this, plus a label maker, plus a box of screws, and generally a tape measure...  it's not exactly a light pouch.   

I also carry a custom made safe pick.  And for safe repair tools (that aren't listed earlier) I have a couple of socket drivers I got from Harbor Freight.  I have the whole set, but the two I carry are sized to replace bill readers and take of most of the other safe repairs I do frequently.  I still have to pull out my full socket set to take out floor bolts, but that's about it.  

That's not everything I carry on a regular basis, but it's close enough and gives a good idea of what it takes to do my job. 



No comments:

Post a Comment