Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Changing Habits



I haven’t written anything in a while, so I thought I would this morning.  I’m still waking up at 5:30 every morning, but I have rearranged my schedule a slight bit.  It is a small change, but it seems to be making a real difference.

Previously, the first thing I’d do in the morning would be go straight into praying.  But I wasn’t very awake in the morning, so by the end of 15 minutes of praying, I would be half asleep.  Not much would have been accomplished, but I did try my best.  Everything after that was just a long string of “can I stay awake?”  Which could explain part of the reason why I’ve had such a hard time studying and remembering information for the CCNA.   If you aren’t awake, you can’t study very well. Fifteen minutes later, I’d have forgotten everything I’d read or studied. 

But then I was reading a blog written by Dave Ramsey called 20 Things the Rich Do Every Day.   He talked to a man named Tom Corley who released a book after studying the habits of rich people.   The study really pointed out a lot of vast differences between the day to day behavior of the rich and the poor.  Once again, it points to a behavior and teaching problem. 

After reading the list, I decided to see what I could incorporate into my life on a daily basis.  And one of the things I’ve been unhappy with was my general health.  I’m not obese by any means, but I seem to be highly affected by bad eating habits.  It’s not that I gain 20 pounds, I just get to where I can’t walk up a flight of stairs without feeling completely winded.   And I don’t like that.  I keep coming back to a line in the Bible, in Proverbs 6:10.   “A little more sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest..”

So I had to do something about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment