Friday, August 23, 2013

Doors



So I kicked in a door yesterday.  It wasn’t the smartest thing I’ve done while employed.  But then I started thinking about it, and the entire situation that led me to kick in the door. 

Before I start: I was wrong to kick in the door.

But based on the behavior of the company, I think it was a logical decision.  I also think it was in line with the companies behavior towards its IT department.   Now, let’s put the entire situation in context.  

I had an upgrade scheduled for Monday night, starting at 11PM.  At the morning meeting at 8AM, I was told I needed to be at that location on Tuesday morning for an install.  I didn’t hear about this install until Thursday.   And the night upgrade schedule is posted at least two weeks in advance.  

So…   Monday night at 11 PM, upgrade.  The next day, drive an hour and do another upgrade.   Great.   I work my 8A to 5P Monday and go back to work at 10:15 PM and finish at 4AM Tuesday morning.  I’m back to work at 10:00 AM Tuesday.   I’m not hourly.  So this is “free time” for the company after I hit 40, and I’m only working three days this week, and I got over 30 hours in those 3 days.   Isn’t it wonderful?

But…  Here I am, waiting for an upgrade.   And the manager tells me someone locked the room where all my equipment is located.  I’m thinking we have to be in that room in the next ten minutes.   So I lose my head and kick in the door.  And it gives in one kick.  

Remember…   5’10”, 135 pound guy kicks open the “secured room” in one kick.   Humorous.   I probably should have called a locksmith to get the thing open.   Anyways.

I found out the next day the entire plan was changed Monday and the scheduled update was pushed a week.  But no one needs to tell the IT department.  So I slept four hours for nothing. 

And I got to thinking about something I learned in the military.  Security is an illusion.  It is nothing more than a collective set of blinders we throw over our eyes to deny what can happen.  Humorous that your secure room can be kicked in by the scrawny IT guy in one kick.  Idiots.

No comments:

Post a Comment