Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Beta brilliance



So I figured out the beta software, I just have to find time to install it.  It strikes me as strange that a company would develop a beta software that absolutely requires installing the old version and then updating.  They have NEVER required that before.  But who am I to say?  Ok, I’m here to say that is absolutely stupid.  That is some sort of massive engineering oversight that prevents the software from being installed the way it normally should be.  I mean, what happens when the next version comes out? 

A new install of the equipment takes me about four hours.  That’s from new in box and never configured to final product, ready to install.  Now, it’s four hours to build the equipment, plus two hours to upgrade the equipment.  That’s pretty crazy they would design the system that way.  Weird, even.  I don’t understand it, but then I’m not the engineer who made that brilliant decision.

Seriously, what was the engineer thinking?  They essentially broke 15 years of tradition in how they designed this software.  Now, this is the first beta I’ve been on, but why in the world would you design software that had to be patched instead of a standalone install?  That’s just stupid. 

Anyways, looks like we open one store this week and start working on another that will open the week after.  We’ll see what happens with that.  The one opening this week is mostly done.  I still have to register the site and get a couple of small things working, but that shouldn’t be a big deal.  It’s mostly cleanup and stand around until someone tells me something is broken. 

On the plus side, I had around seven hours of overtime last week, so that makes the change to hourly well worth it.  I’ll probably break 40 this week by the time I hit Friday, so that day will be all overtime.  Got to love that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment