Tuesday, December 31, 2013

More Direct X (or direct failure)



And the install of the Direct X SDK didn’t work.  Great.  Just great.  Or at least it didn’t work for C#.  Maybe I should wade back into C++.  Let’s see what happens when I install one of those suckers.

First, the typical “project out of date with your compiler” problem.  Let’s wait for that to finish…

Ok, so wow… it actually compiled and ran.  There’s some stinking progress. 

Now I just have to figure out what in the world happened to the C++ I used to know… 

Ok, it still makes a relative degree of sense, so I’m not completely lost…  Flabbergasted and behind the times by many, many years.  But I think I can read up on this and make it work.  At the very least, the sample compiles, and that’s more than I could say for the C# stuff. 

Honestly, this is why I gave up C++ in the first place.  Building frameworks gets old after a while.  Especially if you just want to test something fairly basic before spinning it into something larger.  Is that so much to ask?  Really, I don’t think it should be. 

And for me, that’s the appeal of C# and VB.  You spend a lot more time programming and a lot less time reading documentation, figuring out what variable you need to get a text box to appear.  That streamlining of certain parts makes the entire thing much more palatable.  So I guess those days are over for the most part.  Partly because Microsoft writes cruddy documentation and partly because I’d rather spend time doing want to do as opposed to hunting down every single esoteric little variable that may or may not be used and is probably not documented very well.


No comments:

Post a Comment