Saturday, November 16, 2013

Learning, book 1, day 1



Despite the complaining of Amazon, I have to say the first day of Mega Memory was pretty good.  With my shoddy memory, anything helps.  Surprisingly, a sequence of 20 words I learned at 6:20 AM this morning I can still recall.  In order.  On the initial assessment, I was only capable of remembering the first word.  So, yeah.   Also, I keep thinking of Dune..

Muad'Dib learned rapidly because his first training was in how to learn. And the first lesson of all was the basic trust that he could learn. It's shocking to find how many people do not believe they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult. Muad'Dib knew that every experience carries its lesson.
from The Humanity of Muad'Dib by the Princess Irulan
            Dune, Frank Herbert

And the thing that bothers me most is that school teaches a lot of things that need to be learned, but completely skips the “how to learn” part.  So people are taught things, but the things they are taught they are never taught to remember.  It’s rather ironic, I think and shows an area of failing in our school system.  Because beyond remembering four or five items in a list (and the lists are generally pages long) other methods have to be used.  If school spent as much time on the front side teaching those associations and methods, then I have a feeling the back side teaching would go quicker because of faster recall of those facts.  Students would be taught more than “highlight this” and “read that”.  

Now, I started this post two days ago and barely have had the chance to finish it.  I can still remember that list of 20 words.  So I’m beginning to think that working this program as written will do what I want to do.  I think Dave Ramsey put it best… If you want to do something new, go find winners and mimic them.  And though most of the people on Amazon said Kevin Trudeau was a fool, they don’t have book in the public library.


No comments:

Post a Comment