Monday, May 12, 2014

The 4 hour workweek



I read an article once on Timothy Ferriss.  I think I even wrote one in this blog at one point.  Back then, I was dead set against the idea of lifestyle design.  I don’t know if I am now.

So that being said, I think I’ve come back around to at least hearing out his ideas.  You can’t argue with his effectiveness.  A four hour work week is the kind of thing many dream of.  So like I said, I don’t know what to think.  I can easily agree with many of his sentiments on the pointlessness of meetings and work for works’ sake.  I often question the effectiveness of what I’m doing, and question whether it’s pointless work.  I guess there’s the part of me that wonders whether I’m spending my time wisely or just spending it.  Sure, I make X dollars per hour, but am I producing X dollars of output per hour?  Should I be working on other things, so I that I can produce two or four times the amount of output.  So there is that. 

I find distractions are the biggest waste of time I run into.  People wander in to my office (when I’m in the office) and tell me random stories about things they’ve done or stuff they want to know.  And I sit and listen to them, wondering why they won’t go away so I can get some real work done.  But then, is what I was doing busy work or real work?   Am I producing or am I just wasting my time.  Most of the time, I find I don’t have more than 30 minutes of uninterrupted time to do whatever it is I need to be doing. 

I also like the idea of automation from an automation expert.  I’d much rather produce autopilot income than have to work for it.  What I do know is that my non-employer income is generally zero.  And zero is not sustainable at all.  So I keep asking myself: how do I turn what I know into something that makes me money without me having to produce any effort?  I guess that’s the key to all of this.  I just have to read what someone else said about it, and apply it.

No comments:

Post a Comment