Thursday, May 29, 2014

Not as much oomph

Day two doesn't have quite as much oomph as day one so far.  I was up late working on securing a site from itself and didn't get to bed until 11:30.  I’m usually in bed by ten.  So 5 came awfully early this morning.  It’s at this point that I have to remember all the wonderful motivation I’d come up with earlier, because now it’s gone.  I can’t say it’s gone completely, but to say it has been highly minimized would not be an understatement. 

So, almost two and a half years later, Seven Days has a cover photo.  I kept thinking I ought to go wandering around, taking all sorts of pictures and then I’d finally come up with the perfect picture.  And I realized since I finished the story, I haven’t really thought of it.  I could probably read the first dozen pages or so, and it would all come back.   But I haven’t done that, and the memory of it is mostly faded. 

Let me tell you about that cover, though.  I combined a picture I took with some horrendous text in Paint.net and slapped it up there.  I’m sure there are Photoshop heroes out there, but I’m not one of them.  Much as I’d like to be able to draw pictures of the things in my head, it doesn't work.  I just don’t have the talent.

I couldn't find the kind of picture I was looking for.  I’d be honest if I said I couldn't describe what I was looking for.  It was always just some vague idea that never formed.  So I gave up on that and went with a picture my kids drew with sidewalk chalk on the patio.  I guess it seems like a stretch, but I have to realize Seven Days was released back on September 11, 2011.  That’s almost three years ago.  So That’s pretty crazy that it never got a cover, though I can see where the indecision of finding the perfect cover lead me to never develop a cover.


I can’t say it will be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it’s my first story.  And sure, it didn't sell even 100 copies so really why should I worry?   I've sold two copies in 2 ½ years, and I’m worried about whether the cover will be great or not.  There’s some misguided mind-trip crap for you right there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment