Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Changing passwords... and Eclipse


Want to figure out how much you know about a system? Change a password.  Sounds stupid, but automation is often setup under a single user account.  In a large company (I’m hoping) you find that only one password affects one process.  In a small company you will run into craziness.  But I would encourage you to change passwords, even ones where you don’t have a great deal of information on what happens when the password changes.

If anything, it becomes a good time to write documentation.  Let’s face it, you are supposed to have documentation on everything you do anyways.  Password changes are no different.  If you have built the infrastructure properly, then a password change should only effect one device or service.  That may seem like a lot of passwords.  It is.  But if you aren’t willing to put effort into security, you won’t have any.  

Moving on…

And Eclipsing we will go…  I took my final today, and I don’t have any site upgrades planned until January, so I think it’s time to get the mobile apps I have built in head tested and running.  That means breaking several things I would normally use at work.  But I suppose that will have to work.


No comments:

Post a Comment