Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Insurance

So, it’s an on-call week.  Generally that means everyone and their dog decides I need to work on some special project for them.  It can make me feel good that I have the interest of so many, but really.  Can’t it all wait until next week when I’m back to peace and patience and not neck deep in a thousand different people yelling at me to fix things yesterday?

Enough of that train of thought.

It’s that time of year for insurance, and it’s strange that I think I’m finally properly insured, or at least close to where I should be.  I’ve got car, renters, health, life, short term disability, and long term disability.  Which makes for expensive bills but decently mitigated risk.  It seems stupid, but I think I’m finally covered to the point where I should be.  Is it expensive?  You bet.  But it’s worth it. 

Do I really want to contemplate to contemplate what would happen if I fell off a ladder and was injured and couldn’t work?  Not really, but I don’t want to be homeless, either.  Sure, it’s expensive but you should deal with getting all of the above if you can.  I reduce a bit of the cost by raising deductibles and elimination periods.  I generally keep two weeks in vacation and cash in the bank, so an elimination period of two weeks is easy on short-term disability. 


Maybe Nial Ferguson was right. Either that, or I need to quit reading so many books.  

But it's hard to not read so many books when it becomes easy to pick and choose the parts that mean a lot and fit together.  I think most of the books I've read in the last two or three years have changed my perspective in some way.   Mostly for the better.  Or at least I'd like to think so.


No comments:

Post a Comment