Monday, November 24, 2014

Monday Ramblings

Here are some ramblings for Monday.

The subcontract work fell through.  I spent about 45 minutes on the phone explaining how TCP/IP layer 3 works, and finally got them to know what they needed to know.  I guess a broad knowledge of networking helps a lot when working in an industry that is increasingly network based.  It doesn't help that most networking issues happen at layer 1.  The issue there was a layer 3 addressing issue.  Pictures don't help some people.

After messing with my current reading chart, I determined it will take me (on average) until January 17th to finish the next book.  Strange what a few excel formulas can do.  It's almost magical.   The formula here happens to be

(today's date + (estimated remaining sessions * average days between reading))

estimated remaining sessions = (total pages - current page ) / average increase in page count

So, by close to February I'll be back into an old Security+ book, Some time after that, I'll be into the book on Physics.  Progress, as it were, is happening.  After starting over with the Active Directory book, I'm about 12.7% complete with my reading goal.  That doesn't seem like much, but it more progress than I've made in years.  

It's hard to remember that progress only happens when it is intentional.  Rambling through life will not get you where you want to go.  Make a plan, and go there.  That's the only way to get to the end of the path.  And if that path takes reading 5,200 pages, then so be it.  At least you've got a plan, which is a lot more than most people have.

Finals are next Monday, so I'll finish up Introduction to Networking then and be free for a few weeks.  Fighting issues with the next class, but we'll see what happens with that.  The issue is a supply/demand problem.  The next class filled up in three days.  Every other class doesn't have the people as the one section I want to take.  Lovely stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment