Friday, September 20, 2013

brilliant ideas... right before bed



9 PM at night, and I think I’ve solved a problem in my head.  I hate it when that happens.  The brain wants you to take something, and spit it out rapidly, producing exactly what is needed right then and there.  But part of my brain says “we must do this now” and the other part starts prototyping, trying to figure out the requirements. 

For this fix to work, it must be easily adjustable and produce good, accurate XML files.  Assuming those XML files are not completely site/version specific.  It’s hard to tell anymore.  Back in the old days, you could load something into a hex editor or Notepad and see every single hidden control character on a file.  Or if there weren’t any, you could relax and sigh some relief and just move on with the next part. 

The only problem is that this solution is as endlessly complex and scalable as it is wonderful.  I don’t think anyone would use it except me, unless I built a front end on the sucker, but it would be awesome.  I’m thinking of a SQL database full of various values, producing custom XML files in the proper format to import into a specific site so the files are automatically generated and imported with speed. 

The idea is great, but endlessly complex.  Partly because I’ve never setup SQL server or built a decent database, much less written a program of the complexity I’m talking about.  But if it was written, massive numbers of sites could rapidly get new data imports after one simple adjustment.  I like that idea.  It’s just a massive undertaking amongst all the other junk I have to handle.  Will I succeed at it?  No clue.  I’ll probably start and abandon the project at some point, but I don’t know when that will be.  It’s the nature of how my brain works and the DIY nature of the job I work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment