Sunday, September 29, 2013

Tipping Points

I'm on call this weekend.  And I've said for a while that my company does things wrong.  And we've never done anything about it.  I think this weekend was a tipping point.  It was a point where I realized just how little progress had been made towards known and desired goals.  There is nothing I can look at and say "yes, I have finished task X, Y, and Z.  Nothing.  Just a lot of mindless talk without real action. 

So today, in the midst of being pissed at what little work had been done, I made a list.  It's not the perfect list.  Just a list of actions that need to be accomplished and processes to complete to turn our out of control IT department into something I can be proud of. 

Kind of scares me, though.   Thomas Edison said "Opportunity is often missed because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work" and I think he's right.  Correcting the course of this ship is going to take weeks of effort.  Probably months or even years.  But it will take a lot.  But it needs done or nothing is ever going to change.

I already know the pace of growth isn't going to change.  We've been told that it's not going to slow down, and it might even get worse.  But I can't let that stop me.  I've simply got to get moving and get working.  You're either with me and you'll learn as I go, or you'll fail miserably.  I don't really care which, because there is work to do and I'm not going to work for a two-bit operation.  Not in the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment